Re: Rock Crawling...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:22:56 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
I have an idea for Rock Crawling.  Let's take it to Brickworld.  We
can make it an event (but not really a competition).  The general
idea is to drive a remote-control LEGO vehicle through the "course",
which could be made of just about anything we can find, and the
course will not be limited to LEGO.

I like this idea.  I can see this as both a competition AND event, with awards
going to both man & machine.  Coolest vehicle, Best driver, best overall
performance (fastest time around the course) would all be neat awards.

Assuming we play with it for the next six months, we should have a
good variety of vehicles & courses.  The courses will consist of
"stuff" (like boards and pillows and piles of LEGO), and will be
built mostly from scratch every time.  I think there would be cones,
or gates that the robot has to pass through, and some system of scoring points.

One of the most difficult part of this is going to be finding the space to make
a course.  With the size of vehicles I'm envisioning, I think we're going to
need a good size area, not just a 4 x 8 spot.  And having to take it down and
move it out of the way for other events or sessions would not be good.  Maybe it
won't be a big issue at Brickworld, but I couldn't see us having done this at
Brickfest '06.  There just wasn't a large enough space for a dedicated rock
crawling spot.  Perhaps it is early enough in the planning stages of both this
event and Brickworld that this can be taken into account.

I think that most real rock crawling events have cones marking the course, and
hitting a cone results in a time penalty.  Lowest total time wins, but I've
never paid much attention to anything other than watching the flips and crashes
;)

At Brickworld, we could loan people vehicles, and they could take
their turn at it.  Or they could bring a vehicle of their own.

Definitly... And like we've discussed before, having "standard" BT NXT remotes
available for use.

Not that I think it would be a big problem, but we might want to specify allowed
parts.  I'm thinking LEGO parts, standard construction, EXCEPT for the remote
implementation.  This means that BT NXT remotes, HiTechnic remotes, Mindsensor's
PSP-NX, etc. would all be allowed.  But I wouldn't want to see R/C trucks with
LEGO bodies or something like that competing.  Perhaps a slippery slope (pun
intended), but something that might need to be nailed down.

John