Re: Rail hand car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:04:42 GMT

Well, due to some problems I had earlier with posting photos to Brickshelf I
am trying this again...here is the link to the 4 wheel rail hand car and the
link directly to the build instructions.  If you didn't catch the first
posting about the hand car I will copy past it under the links.

John

I have placed my version of the old rail hand car on Brickshelf for your
viewing pleasure.  Like Shawn, I used the NBA Lego man with the leg springs
removed.  Also, the Lego man who is doing the pumping is mounted on two
technic bricks (1x2’s) with 2 holes to allow some extra motion.  I used 4
wheels instead of 8 to make it more realistic, and the wheels are guided on
the track by adding 4 levers on the underside of the hand car.  This works
until someone convinces Lego to make train wheels that fit technic axels!  I
do believe if one wanted, you could modify the train wheels to actually
work.  The trick in using the levers is the proper alignment and adjustment
to keep the car on the track yet make sure it is loose enough to allow the
car to move on the track freely.  The levers may become slightly worn, and
seeing how I do not own any switch track, I am not sure if the hand car will
successfully navigate a switch.

Track workers used rail hand cars…sometimes with crews of 4 to 6 men.
Sometimes they also pulled wagons loaded with rail ties, spikes and various
tools used to maintain the tracks.  I have made a train motor into a work
wagon to power the hand car around the track.  One could also use a push rod
to create the illusion of the hand car moving in front of the train.  It
would be better if the push rod were clear…does Lego make clear technic
axels and universal joints?

I just downloaded Ldraw and have yet to figure it out, but when I do, I will
attempt to post the assembly instructions for the hand car.

John