Re: Motorized point
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 04:02:47 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.indylug, Brian B. Alano writes:

Brian,

I'm not having much luck with the switcher.  It definitely worked
better, but it still failed a lot of the time (3 out of 4).  I took some
of the shell off so I could watch it and I think the biggest problem is
that there are too many joints and too much play in the cam mechanism
for it to work correctly.

It's been much better than 95% for me. I wonder if there's something
wrong in my drawing. Sounds like there's too much play somewhere. This
wasn't a problem for me. The only problem I has was the base lifting off
the track. A 2 x 6 plate over the top of the base next to and parallel
with the track helped a great deal with this.

One thing I noticed when assembling it is that the perpendicular axle
connector with two holes can tilt to a lower position and still fit in
the housing. IIRC, it should set a few degrees off horizontal (exactly
horizontal would provide better action, but that proved elusive to do).
Once in the proper position, it stayed there (at least until the base
separated from the track.)

I'll take a look and see if that is the issue.  Hopefully, it will work.

BTW, where are we with the control software?

Regards,
Steve

It works nicely, sans roundtable/roundhouse software. That is to say,
the RCX to hardware interface does. All necessary functionality is
there. An RCX to human interface is functional, but not exactly usable.
I'm going to put something together in Java, I think, for the user
interface.

Yippee!

Sounds great,
SteveM