Re: Points derailing cars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:52:32 GMT

I've tried your suggestions in the past...    :-(  DON'T do it...
Scroll down...

1.  There is not enough height clearence in the switch for the wheel to go
through the point.  Every time it goes through, it gets pushed up from below.
Has anyone tried to Dremel out a deeper channel to avoid this?

You'll certainly ruin 1 or more integrated wires. Fixing these is a hell
of a job.
Better solution: lower te radius of the wheels 0,3-0,5 mm. With an
electr. drilling machine and fine sanding paper. A lot of work....

2.  There is a tab that looks kind of like this \______/ on the rail that is
opposite the gap where the track splits.   If you have a short car with
fixed wheels, because they don't rotate and follow the curve of the track,
they hit the tab square on when taking the non-straight path like this:

<====>\______/

This causes the car to derail.  The tab isn't attached all the way at each
end.  It looks like you could somehow heat up the ends of the tab and bend
it to be a wider and smoother opening so this didn't occur.  Has any noticed
this and tried any solutions to fix it?

Don't bend it wider, the wheels are 'forced' into the curve, that's
right, and necessary.
If not (e.g. if you bend it wider) the opposite wheel hits the 'point'
at the opposite gap = heavy derailing!
Live with it, or place the wheels from a 16-stud car both 1 stud towards
each other.

Second, easy solution, not 100%:
When you put some extra weight on the wheels-units = fill the bottom
with 4 pieces of 1x4 plates, they run much smoother, and more reliable.

Good luck,
Klaas H. Meijaard - the Netherlands
Lugnet 291