Re: Train control (was Re: Small Park)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 15:36:41 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.indylug, Steve Hassenplug writes:
I own I think 8 working micro-motors, which is enough for one level
crossing and 6 points. Anyone want to donate more to the effort? Of
course, I only have 2 RCX, so I can only control 6 motors independently.

Oh, Steve H., my design would work fine with a mana, but I haven't
actually tried it. Maybe that's how I can overcome my micro-motor and
output limitations. Downside is the size of the mana--it would have to
be covered with terrain or a building.

I'm with Steve M. on this.  If we can use regular motors, it would be better.  I just happen to think, the reason for using Manas' was (in my mind) so we could control them from across the table.  Given that Steve has many extra motors, just for controlling switches, it wouldn't be hard to run wires from each switch, back to a 'control' area.  It would just take a little work extending the standard LEGO wires.

Our group (NALUG) just did this for our upcoming show in September.  We
turned a bunch of short Lego wires into a bunch of long sorta-Lego wires,
and ran them back to a central control board.  We did a trial run of our
entire layout for various testing purposes, and except for some minor
glitches, controled 23 switches and 3 interconnected loops with a single
operator.

I haven't thought much about WHY we need to control the points. "Because
we can is my first inkling."

Because that way 1 person can have run the trains without having to pull
other club members into Switchman duties and away from crowd duty.  That and
"Because we can" are the main reason NALUG did/is doing it.

HTH

James