 Organizations / United States / DixieLUG / 42
Re: How did the meeting go?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.dixielug
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 06:05:12 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.org.us.dixielug, James J. Trobaugh writes:
Hey guys how did the meeting go this past weekend? I've been waiting for an
update post.

jt

--

James J. Trobaugh james.trobaugh@ngltc.org
North Georgia LEGO Train Club www.ngltc.org

  hey, james ~

  franklin, kenny and i had a great time! they got here around 3 in the
afternoon, which gave me a needed breather after that gruelling morning
rehearsal.

franklin brought the bulk of his castle 'figs, which feature lots of
super-cool mix-n-match originals. he also unveiled a trio of spider chariots
of the most flawless design ~ beautiful, and deadly.  mr. cain's wit and
infectious laugh kept me grinning constantly!

  kenny set up his train, which is a very modified version of #4559,
featuring a lower passenger level instead of the cargo stow.  it ran through
his very nice moc station house.  kenny also brought his 5-story house of
which each floor is a seperate unit. (OOPS, kenny forgot the 3rd floor! even
so, it still fits together as a nice 4-story! ;-)  the fireplaces, chimney,
and staircases are my favorite details of this model. the roof section is
neat because it has a great realistic looking attic interior, but quite
unique in that the roof is made of mostly 1x3 low slopes in many different
colors. yellow is used intermediately throughout, with the result being
unexpectedly effective!

  i just wrapped up the process of sorting. only the dinos and yellow galaxy
cruiser are left standing. (and of course, the alien & ripley, which i'll
_never_ take apart.)  but i do have lots of new customs, so i gave a little
preview of my upcoming, very first, craigo-lego auction.  franklin knows his
mini-figs, so i was pleased when he was stunned to (only momentary ;-)
silence by my bootleg dragon master on a _blue_ torso! he also liked the two
new additions to my personal collection, the joker, and xena.

  we did some trading amongst the three of us which left us all very happy
with our new elements. then we did some good deal shopping about town.
franklin and i cleaned out the tru of #6236's. i found a stash of $13
#6099's.  we had dinner at "giambrone's", a ny-style italian place down the
street, across from the "museum district"~ children's, sports, geogia music,
harriet tubman, the old train termanal/tourism offices).

  i brought up the possibility of DixieLUG doing some sort of model display
here in macon at our children's museum, next year during the cherry blossom
festival the museum would love to host us, and they have an on-going (how
appropriate is this) _brick_ drive as their fund raiser! (give a donation,
get a brick decorated in your honour placed in the sidewalk out front.)
anyway, there's an idea for a group project, a great place and time to do
it, and a year to plan it out.  ;-)

  franklin and kenny got a bit of an opportunity to check out some of the
briliant architecture of macon.  james, you simply must see the terminal
station here! i'm looking forward to us meeting in nicer weather so i can
share this stuff with y'all!  we have a gothic cathedral, that gorgeous
italianate palace across the street from my house, (which we could tour one
afternoon, and there are some incredible greek revival mansions, and
antibellum victorians further up college street. it may seem off-topic a
bit, but i always walk around macon soaking up inspiration for my lego models.
  oh, and greg crisp called early in the afternoon, to say he couldn't make
it, but he and i got a chance to chat. i called pawel later that evening,
and we chatted with his school-burdened self for a while. franklin and kenny
stayed out late saturday night. we gabbed till well past midnight!

  a bit long-winded, but you asked, so i told!  ;-)

  let's get together in mid to late may, y'all!

later ~ craig~