 Organizations / United States / 625
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.org.us.nclug
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 14:40:06 GMT

"Mike Walsh" <mike_walsh@mindspring.com> wrote:

<chop an excellent disertation>

The decision I have come to is essentially this:  NCLUG will welcome members
under the age of 18 (maybe 16 but for now I am thinking 18) as something I
am referring to as, for lack of a better term, associate or junior members.
These members will be welcome at meetings (if we ever have any) provided
some other law doesn't prevent them (like meeting at a bar or some other
similar venue) from attending.  The one caveat will be that these members
will have to be "sponsored".  A sponsor could be another NCLUG member or a
parent or guardian and will have to be in attendance.  This may create the
"bored" chaperon situation but I am willing to try it and see how it works
out.  The allowance for a member to sponsor a younger member could also
alleviate the bored chaperon without eliminating the accountability.

Why allow younger members?  Were it not for my son, I might not have ever
gotten back into this hobby.  I am not going to exclude him (he is five)
from any events therefore all kids have to be welcome.  There are a number
of other adults (who are not active on LUGNET but lurk from time to time)
who are interested in NCLUG solely because their children would be welcome.
I see this as an opportunity to get more adults involved in our hobby by
providing them an opportunity to do something with their kids.  The way I
see it there are a whole lot of closet LEGO enthusiasts who would be willing
to get together for an event if their kids were involved.

...When we (WAMALUG) were making up our Charter, we wrestled with the jrfol issue some
too. Some of us, myself included, wanted to be part of the club mostly to be around our
peers, which usually means people of our age group. However, 'age group' is kinda vague,
and has alot to do with mental and emotional age vice any physical age bit. In the end, we
settled on a sponsorship/parental involvement rule for kiddies. So far, its wurked well
and no ones complained. Anyway, u can checkout our solution at http://wamalug.org/ :-)

...you can go back to ignoring me now...

wubwub
stephen f roberts
wamalug guy  (http://wamalug.org)
Jain's Guide (http://wildlink.com/lego/jain)