 Organizations / United States / 587
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 23:09:27 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.org.us, Jeff Johnston writes:
[...]
If somebody wanted to start an all-ages group in this area, they'd have my
enthusiastic support.  But I would never even *think* of asking NELUG
to give up it's name to a different group.  That's both rude and unfair.

Hmm, is that what Tamy was suggesting?  I thought she was suggesting that
NELUG lower its age range from 18+ to 16+ (or whatever, maybe even abolishing
the age limitation completely) and that adults start a new group (either
separate or as a subgroup).  That is, in that scenario, NELUG wouldn't have
to give up its name, only change its age policy slightly.

In other words, she's saying that the people who are currently in the group and
who
like it as it is should go and form their own group, and the current group
changes.
I think that's a bit backwards, personally.

Opening up the age
range wouldn't affect NELUG membership very much -- I'm not sure that I can
even think of another person in the 16-17 range in the NE area besides Shiri,
and I don't think that adults would suddenly stop coming to NELUG meetings if
the age was openened up.

Well, I wouldn't.  Not that I've actually made it to one.  I *was* hoping that any

other JrFOLs in the area would respond when I asked for it somewhere upthread.

BTW, what happened to the idea from last year about allowing people under 18
to be NELUG members but not to attend meetings?  It kinda defeats the purpose
if all the meetings are 18+, but it's tough to defend the position that
liability is really an issue in all types of meeting places.  In terms of the
other issue (wanting specifically adult type of social company), couldn't there
be an official or unofficial subgroup of NELUG for 21+ types of things like
roadtrips to Fall River and Bison County for Guinness?

That was one suggestion I planned on making, if the 'adult company' turned out to
be the real main objective.  Or alternately, have a special subgroup of NELUG -
sort
of a "Junior auxiliary" that could tag along for events like the TCS window, field

trips to places of interest to FOLs of all ages, etc.