 Organizations / United States / 583
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 22:04:14 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.org.us, Shiri Dori writes:
[...]
In case someone missed this, one of NELUG's conditions for membership is
that a member must be over 18.
[...]

As a NELUG member, I'd love to hear stories/experiences specificially from
16-17 year olds (or 18-year-olds if you were once 16-17 as part of a LUG)
who are members of other LUGs in the U.S....this might help me form a more
solid opinion if the age issue is put to a formal vote at a future NELUG
meeting.

* As a 16-17-year-old, how do/did you feel about being allowed into your
local LUG?  Grateful?  Take it for granted?  Surprised?

* How would you feel if you weren't allowed?

* What would you do (instead, to compensate) if the limit were 18 -- i.e.,
if you weren't allowed?

* How has it enriched your life to be a member at age 16-17 as opposed to
having to wait until you were 18?

* What would you recommend to a 16-year-old in an area where the local LUG's
age requirement is 18+ ?

Thanks,

--Todd

[followups to .org.us]

Ok Todd,
I'll give you my story.
My son, who is 14, is a full member of the club (WAMALUG). I don't babysit him
and neither do any of the other members of club. He is as concientious as a 14
year old can be.

How does he enrich WAMALUG? He runs errands when they need running. He watches
the door, (as he did for BRICKFEST). He's informative. He brings a new
perspective to others about building ideas, (odd though they sometimes are).
He crashes trains, (which on the whole is not good, but then everyone has
crashed a train on a setup at least once). He doesn't cause trouble, and to
some degree is a good sport about derisive treatment to himself and
the "Timmy" association. He is, on the whole entertaining.

I'll say right now that I'm biased, and that I would encourage other
WAMALUGer's to either denounce or uphold my opinion, (er... open discussion),
and for that matter anyone else who had contact with my son, (Mike), at
BRICKFEST.

(if this posted already once... I'm sorry....)

Rich

--
Have Fun! C-Ya!

Legoman34

*****
Legoman34 (Richard W. Schamus)... (No, I don't work for TLC, but I want
to...)

BRICKFEST 2001 IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER... START MAKING PLANS TODAY.

Card carrying LUGNET MEMBER: #70
Visit http://www.wamalug.org &
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/1334
...(the wait is over...)
..."The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself." ...
*****