 Organizations / United States / 500
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 06:42:46 GMT

Shiri Dori wrote:

I don't think that ý have any right to say something about it, but
anyway, here is my 2 Turkish Liras:

2.  Our origional "Mission Statement" - NELUG was initially started with the
only goal to be to get AFOL's together in an environment that we could have
adult conversations about a hobby we share.  Please don't harp on me for the
wording here.  We know that you all share the same hobby and that most of you
are very mature and converse with Adults fine.  For more explination please
see #3.

Eric answered his own question here, I think. We all share the same hobby.
Once you pass the "5-12" age recommendation on the box, most people are
scorned or at least misunderstood for their hobby. Naturally this increases
with age, but believe me at 16 I'm getting as much weird looks as I'm sure
some of you are at 30.

Actually, being a Lego fan is much more difficult for a teen (I mean
15-17) than the real adults like us. They are more sensitive to the
pressure from the crowd (family and friends) around them and I think
being a Lego fan (or having any "childish(!)" hobby) and admitting that
is a good sign of maturity for a teen.

As for maturity, I don't see how this applies when coming from people who
repeatedly declare their inner-children to be under 12 and some even younger.
Personally I'm often told I'm mature for my age but that doesn't/shouldn't
matter.

Apart from the above, Shiri is one of the people here that I like
reading posts from most, because they have always a sense of maturity,
more than the ones from "real" adults sometimes (including me).
Actually, I even didn't know her age before it is expressed by another
poster under infamous "President and the Trainee" tread ..:-)

Good luck Shiri..:-)

Selçuk