 Organizations / United States / 481
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 05:45:32 GMT

Shiri Dori wrote:
Another point I'd like to bring up is that NELUG is the only LUG that has a
cutoff age, to the best of my knowledge. Many groups don't have a clear-cut
rule about this.

NELUG can, of course, make any rule they like, and they will.

Having said that, I pretty much agree with Shiri. VLC set a lower age
limit of 15: below that, kids can visit if supervised by an adult. (And
I mean, *supervised*!). I have brought my dughter (16) and a boy from
her school (also 16 I think) who brought his amazing huge castle, and
neither of them needed supervision. Some young kids who visited (8-10 or
so) to my mind were a problem even with their parents supervising.
Others of that age might not be, though my experience of the 6-13's who
come to my "technic class" says that most of them (with exceptions, of
course) don't yet have enough social self control to be in an adult Lego
club situation with any semblance of comfort either for the kids or the
adults.

16 year olds who are still into Lego are, as Shiri says, very much the
exception and more like AFOLs than younger Lego maniacs.

Kevin
--
Personal Lego Web page:
Open Air Market: Limited edition kit