 Organizations / SciBrick / 56
55  |  57
Subject:
SciBrick at DragonCon?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.scibrick
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:59:07 GMT

Curious if anybody is familiar with Dragoncon and the possibility of Scibrick
doing something.

If you are not familiar with Dragoncon, it's a huge gathering (around 20,000
attendees), and appeals to all sci-fi, fantasy, gaming, comics "and other
general wierdness" as I like to put it.

DragonCon puts different interests into "tracks" (Star Trek track, British
Sci-Fi track, Lord of the Rings track, etc).

In addition to Sci-Brick, I think there's a huge potential for other Lego themed
items (unfortunately, traditional trains aren't too popular at DragonCon--sorry,
ILTCO!).

I'm thinking on approaching the DragonCon organizing committe on a possible
"Lego Track", but before I do so, I'd like to know what kind of support an idea
like this would have with the Scibrick community and other communities. (i.e.
Castle)

It would be a great way to get Lego noticed.  I've volunteered as staff for four
years at Dragoncon, I brought the Ollie Dragon sculpture to one of the staff
meetings, and everybody loved it!  There's even a "kids track" for children of
attendees.  Can you imagine the amount of fun a bunch of kids will have with a
K8?

Dragoncon takes place in Atlanta, and be held in 2004, over labor day weekend
Sept 3-6th.  I know it's right behind Brickfest, and I do not intend on taking
away from Brickfest.  I figure people's finances might be a little drained from
travel and hotel stay at Brickfest.

One advantage to Dragoncon--it's in Atlanta, and as the saying goes "to go to
hell, you have to connect in Atlanta", and the MARTA public transit has a train
that goes from the airport with a stop right below the hotel--so no need for a
rental car.

It's still just an idea running through my head, but I'm curious what other
folks might think about this idea.

Scott Lyttle