 Organizations / GLUG / 74
73  |  75
Subject:
Brick Battles at Gen Con!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming, lugnet.castle, lugnet.org.glug
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 02:03:57 GMT

Along with all the other events that GLUG ran this past weekend, I ran several
sessions of Brick Battles, and came away extremely pleased with how it performed
at it's first public outing.

I brought two different scenarios along to try and show two different faces of
the game, and both were very well received.  Robbing Hood ran 4 times and
Crossroads ran 3 times; each scenario was about 2 hours from start to finish.

Robbing Hood: "Baron Hood is sending his yearly taxes to the king, and it's so
poorly guarded a child could steal it - but you aren't the only bandit in this
forest!"

Control the Crossroads: "Four mighty kingdoms meet at a crossroads, and now they
want to fight over it!"

Robbing Hood was set up with 4 camps of 10 bandits hiding in the trees, 2 on
either side of a road where a cart with a chest of gold would go along at a
plodding pace.  It was set up for lots of moving and back-and-forth type action,
and worked really well.  Everyone had fun crouching right down to the table
level and trying to see if their archers had line of sight through the trees,
and hiding their own figs behind trees to keep from getting shot at.

Crossroads was set up with 4 identical armies (1 2-point hero, 18 swordsmen, 4
archers and 5 heavy cavalry), all about 2 turns away from the middle ground, and
had a pair of catapults at the end of each table to fight over as well.  It was
pretty much set up for maximum carnage: 4-way fights are rarely pretty! Of the 3
games that ran, only 1 ended up with the winning force having more than 5 figs
left on the table.

The big thing that I was pleased with was how easily everyone picked up the
rules, and how much fun they had with them - they definately picked up on the
whole "this is a fun system, not a precision system" theme - one of the people
even had bandits coming complete with cheezy french accents!  The youngest
player I had was 9, the oldest was 50, and I had a pretty even split between
kids and adults playing.  I came with 50 copies of the rules and left with less
than 20, and a lot of that was people asking if they could have them, which was
cool.

Brick Battles rules: http://www.lugnet.com/gaming/~11/brickbattles