 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8986
Re: new favorite sound....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 04:47:36 GMT

has anyone thought about "planting the bricks"

I think using our fingers to randomly distribute the bricks throughout the rice
is fair. Just placing the bricks on top is not much of a challenge. Placing
bricks on the bottom and then pouring rice on top is going to make match setup a
pain.

Here is my status report.

My sorter works. As a result of testing, I had to rebuild it a couple of times,
but it sorts really well now. Stress testing involved dumping 27 bricks into the
hopper and letting it run. Some bricks were spit back out of the hopper before
they could be sorted because of the stirrers, but I can accept that. When the
black container had 17 bricks in it, it could not hold anymore. I think I can
accept that too. No mis-sorts during the stress test, and no show-stopping jams.

The picker works too. The EOAT cuts through 3 inches of rice like a warm knife
through butter. The claw / rake takes a 4" wide bite out of the rice, and has a
30 brick capacity, not that it needs it :-)

The 'bot is motorized, and it has a hatch for dumping out the white bricks.

Some numbers:
  18" x 18" x 14" in size
  16  inch maxium reach
  9   pounds in weight
  2   RCX's
  10  motors (2 of which are from the 8475 dune buggy)
  6   large pneumatic cylinders
  1   small pneumatic cylinder
  2   large pneumatic pumps

Many thanks to Rob Stehlik for his pneumatic switch, I couldn't have pulled it
off without that.

See you all on game day,
Wayne.