 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 859
Re: Progress for train1?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 12:34:11 GMT

Rebel Transcanner wrote:

How's everyone progressing with their equipment for train1? Just curious...

    Iain

I had a good weekend - managed to get several hours in a row to work on
the Lego stuff.  I finally got a functional conveyor belt going - no
more ballistic half-bushings.  I'm seriously thinking of going and
buying a bucket of decorative beads or something to use as cargo, since
I don't have enough half-bushings to fill even one big car.

The tip-scale also seems to work consistently, and the chute is jam-
free and doesn't seem to spill product anywhere but into the car.

But I'm having trouble making a nice-looking building.  Sigh.  The
terribly complex technical workings are all functional, but I don't
know what *colour* to make it!

[Insert Chris Magno Snicker(tm) Here]

It's pretty big - a 20x20 building that needs to be about 20-25 bricks
tall.  I hesistate to make it light gray - but I don't have enough tan
or dark grey to do it.  So I'm gonna open my third Ft. Legoredo and see
if I can do it in brown...

I still haven't built a hopper car, but they're in the works.  Iain:
I surveyed my rolling stock yesterday, and I think I've got 4 or 5 of
the shorter train wagon plates (~ 24? ) and 2 or 3 or the longer ones
(~ 28? )  plus at least 4 of the hi-lo huge ones (which I'm thinking
of using for tip cars)  Then, I've also got endless 16-long 2-bogie
cars - which reminds me:

When I was doing my office train layout, I noticed that cars built
on two bogies (by which I mean 2 of the wheel pairs on the car, 2 at
each end),
which are typically 16 studs long or so, make a train much more
prone to jump track.  Eventually, I eliminated all cars which didn't
have swivel trucks (ie: 4 bogies, 2 trucks) because of this
tendency.  Anyone else notice this?  And is it going to affect how
you design your trains for train1?