 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8543
8542  |  8544
Subject:
Don't burn the day...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 03:21:46 GMT

Hi folks,

One of the ideas being bounced around while in DC was the idea of having a
variant of each rtlToronto competition for people just beginning in the Lego
robotics arena.  Instead of offering simple games which require effort to
administrate/judge/run and could be boring, we'd run a less difficult version of
the main event.

For example, in rtlToronto14, instead of extracting all the bricks and sorting
good or bad, the "entry" game would be to drive to the pit and remove one brick,
either colour.

Some questions:

-What is a good scaled down competition?  Does it keep the flavour of the larger
task or give a representative challenge to someone new?

-Would there be enough competitors, or would people just jump right to the main
competition?

-Would this encourage people to do more next time and not frustrate them?

-We tend to oscillate between hard (ProjectX, ProjectY) and easier (Last Bot
Standing, A Brick Too Far) challenges.  Perhaps this is because misjudge the
complexity early on, or perhaps this is because we get tired (a lot of post
ProjectX has been "easier") but is this incentive to go and do only hard
challenges while keeping a "easier" level for each?

-Does rtlToronto care about people just getting into Lego robotics?  Are we kind
people who, for only pennies a day, can nurture a young Lego builder and nourish
their budding robotics design sensibilities?

-Am I a little too cynical for my own good?

Actually, in all honesty, I'm actually quite positive about the idea.  But the
big question is:  Before we get into the logistics of such an undertaking, would
anyone be interested in such a competition?  You can either followup here or
email me privately.

Calum
PS-Dork Tower is very funny.