 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7004
Re: Spoke too soon....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 19:41:50 GMT

your milking cows with a computer?

Actually... All the milk produced is recorded by a computer and $75000 of
electronics. The cows waer tags with a transponder inside. The milk parlour
picks up the cows ID, and then records how much milk is produced. It can
also alert the person milking if the cow should not be milked, if the milk
should be separated (if it is not good  for human consumption, medication)
and also if the cow did not produce enough in that milking, which aids the
farmer to recognize cows with illness or other problems. The program also be
used sstatistics cow health, breadings, pregnancies, families, etc...
Supports Palm pilots as well, but I`m sure my dad could never work one and
he would probably drop it and it would end up in the manure storage...

BTW were is your farm?

30 minutes north of London, near the town of Woodham to be exact.

And to also answer to Iain's post.
No we don`t use a Lely Astronaut. They are awesome, but they can`t cope with
the diferences found in cows, to milk with those you need a herd of perfect
cows. And we have far to many cows, we would need to buy too many of them
spending a few Million buck. Employees are cheaper and more flexable. The
milk parlour we have now allows 24 cows to be milked at once, and over a 100
cows per hour. and didn`t even cost as much as one astronaut.

Gerard