 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6440
Re: A Beautiful Machine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 01:25:55 GMT

"Ross Crawford" <rcrawford@csi.com> wrote in message

http://www.hussrides.com/digitalvideo/mpg/Jump-outsideView.mpg

http://www.hussrides.com/digitalvideo/mpg/Jump-insideView.mpg

(from:  http://www.hussrides.com/33GiantJump2.htm )

So how are the arms actually lifted? Just hydraulic rams? That things
amazing....

On the Jump and Jump2, the lay-out arms are lifted by one centre longstroke
hydraulic cylinder that is shot up with a gigantic nitrogen accumulator.  So
pressure is built up while the ride is idle (loading) and then during
certain portions of the ride, the accumulator is dumped into that main
cylinder in the centre, bringing upward the "crown" and that takes the
lay-out arms upward, via those links.  On the Jump the cylinder was all that
supported the crown, on the Jump2 there are 3 guides that help hold things
in place.

The Jump2 has suspended gondolas that are stabalized via damping cylinders,
so during the shot-up and freefall they can swing out violently.  It's going
to be absolutely incredible.

Jump had a lot of mechanical problems, the one I rode was only operational
for a few hours the two days I was there and I've heard it's rarely
operational.  There are only a few of them.  The Jump2 that is going to
Canada's Wonderland is the world's first and HUSS have certainly learned a
lot from their previous experience.

    Iain