 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6312
Re: train4 Video
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 21:05:59 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Jeff Elliott writes:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Way cool! Well worth the download. Can anyone post more details about the
container crane? (around 00:56 footagewise) Is that a magnet or something
else picking up the container?

Yup.  We mounted a single magnet inside the container at the top, and
place 1x4 tiles above it.  The crane utilized a second magnet, and the
lift cables were actually a loop of chainlink belts.  If both sides of
the chain were driven simultaneously in the same direction (both down,
both up), the magnet simply lifts or lowers.  But if you run them in
opposite directions, the magnet head doesn't move, but the chain
provides rotary power to the off-centre cams which brush the container,
knocking it loose.  It actually works pretty well when you drive it
really slowly (aka micromotors).

I think we need a bigger lift head, with a sensor right above the magnet
which will detect when the magnet has impacted something.  If we run the
crane slowly enough, we should be able to prevent the slam-down problem
we had with in the video.

Obviously, a sensor to detect when we're over the boat or the train cars
would help a lot, too.

Thanks, that helps a lot! Cool mechanism.

Ultimately, if we can power either the crane or the track spur, we could
load different positions in the cars, too.

It's prototypical to have a cable driven thingie to shift cars around a bit
on a siding so if these cars are just for show, that would work. (Count
rotations?) Put the siding on a slant so the cars roll down if you unreel?

Or sensors that detect car locations as you moved them with an engine,
causing the engine power to cut out?? (some sort of pushbutton to "index to
the next container position" would restart the engine moving till the next
sensor (same sensor, different thing activating it??) tripped)

MichLTC member Steve Ringe had an indexing turntable, every time you pushed
a button it indexed by one position based on which sensors tripped. Not all
the positions were the same size rotationwise IIRC. (one was almost a 1/2
rotation of the table)