 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6103
6102  |  6104
Subject:
Things I should never do....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 02:34:10 GMT

Even though I was warned by Calum.....

Even though all the stuff I have ever read in my electronics magazines
says don't bother....

Even against that little voice in my head that said DON'T.......

I thought I'd try to repair that monitor flicker.

So I had (key word) this 17" acerView 76e monitor that was (another key
word) attached to the SUPERCOMPUTER(tm)

The monitor started to develop this strange flicker/flash down the left
side of the screen.........

a bit of digging on Google turned up a probable bad cap C327  attached
to the H-sync. pin.

I listened to that voice.  3 months ago I did nothing and lived with the
flicker.

2 weeks ago, the same monitor developed other symptoms.... upon power up
the top 1" of the screen "folded" down on it self.  until it warmed up
then it stayed to the top 1/4".

I did not listen to the voice. How hard could it be..... I D/L a huge
PDF of the schematics from some sight in russia.  I read a ton of stuff
in the use groups about how to change out a ceramic disk cap C327 =
220pF/2KV should be replaced (3KV is best)

This was the answer.... it was only 4 screws, well, out they came. I had
a peak in.  found C327, and was disappointed to discover that without
removing the entire TUBE I was NOT going to change C327.  So I put it
all back together.

plugged it back into the  SUPERCOMPUTER(tm) and turned it all on.

:(

NOTHING!!

It will now go on the curb with some other items that need to go away to
make space for baby. (who is still not here)

This message is coming to you from an auxiliary 14" monitor that i just
had lying around.

I'm going to go back to playing with my 45 degree out of phase lego
polarity switched and see if one motor out can run skid steer robots.

when you reply to this TYPE BIG cause this is a small monitor.

:(

Chris