 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5844
Re: Who here remembers... Nothing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 03:30:42 GMT

I just want to clarify the issues at hand:

The primary objective of the competition is for the local enthusiasts
to build robots and to solve the problem at hand using (hopefully)
innovative techniques so that everyone can develop their skills and
enhance their building skills.

The secondary objective is to have fun in a relatively stress-free
environment.  If there was an entry fee, there would be less participation,
and a greater incentive to play dishonest, and the stress level would be
much greater.

We are here to have fun.  If Chris wants to make a useless 'bot.  Great.
But, I'm sure I (having no built no competition robots yet) speak for the
group when I say it was and is fun to poke fun at Chris for his current
robotic endevors.  This isn't to say that Chris hasn't produced some
decent robots in the past.

A couple other things to consider are: individual piece avaiability (well
for some), level of robotic skill (well most of you are pretty skilled
at robot building...there are some (like me) who are pretty well entry-level
when it comes to this, and the level of time available to put something
together (or put it together so that it meets our expectations).

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Stehlik writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Magno writes:

see, now this bring up an interesting point.... is it worse to show up
with a crap robot, OR to show up with nothing at all???

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug writes:
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all."

I agree with Steve. But, the emphasis should be on trying. If someone sets
out right from the start to build a crap robot that doesn't even attempt to
solve the problem at hand, then I would rather they just leave it at home.
But I love seeing robots that genuinely try to solve the problem, and could
very well work given a bit more time. I am always inspired by Jeff VW's
creations. While they may not always work as planned, they always
incorporate some very unique ideas. I remember Jeff's robot for the bridge
building game. It had a hook attached to a string that would stop it at
exactly the right point when it had driven across the table. Now there was a
unique concept!
Rob