 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5802
Re: meeting?????
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 22:44:22 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, David Koudys writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Magno writes:
I'm back... I've been away from a good working computer for a few day.
(stupid office XP work machine)

I'm trying to do a  bit of catch up so It will take me a day or two to
reply to some posts.

(don't worry steve, I have NOT forgot about your slanderous comment)

while surfing I came across this:

http://afol.meetup.com/?localeId=858

anyone want to tell me what it is?  why was I not invited? (don't answer
the last question)

:)

Chris

What's that all about?

I think I'm an AFOL and I live near Toronto.

Maybe, maybe not.

Does anyone know about this?

Meetup.com is this thing where you can meet new people with similar
interests (in safe public places at a prearranged time) by registering, it's
hard to explain, did you go to the URL itself? You won't be invited unless
you register and say what you are interested in. I don't think you get to
see who else it was that started in your area, so as to prevent stalkers etc.

Someone started the "afol" part for people that are interested in LEGO(r). I
registered but haven't actually went to one yet. I like just posting here on
LUGNET(tm) when I am going to be in a particular town.

As far as I can tell, the way the website makes (or will make?) money is
from the places that you meet at... since they're restaurants and since you
have to register the restaurant/bar with the site presumably they are going
to the restauants and saying "see the business we are sending you?" or
something. I'm dubious, it seems quite dotcom-mania-ish to me as a business
model.

Hope that helps.