 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5580
5579  |  5581
Subject:
How do things stack up with everyone? :-)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 05:46:18 GMT

After four failed revisions that have only confirmed for me, the
uselessness of Znap, I finally have a block stacker that's got
potential - 13 blocks so far, 1 more and I'll reach the 16" limit for
the gantry. Anything more than that and I'll just have to keep my
fingers crossed. I'm hoping for 15 or 16. I'm happy. I'm pumped. It's
1:40 AM - I'm tired. At least I have something that's likely to be
competitive. Of course, that's just the stacker. Now I have to make
something to find and feed blocks.

A couple of notes for everyone: I don't know if you are all aware of
it, but there are at least two types of tiles that you could use for
your blocks: newer ones that have slightly beveled lower edges, and
older ones that don't. The older ones are slightly thicker. As the
weight of my stack passes 10 blocks, I'm finding that my robot sits a
little lower to the ground and clearing these slightly larger blocks
is becoming a problem. I'm assuming we can use our own blocks for the
competition, right? Or at least have the right to reject another
person's blocks (or some of them) if you don't like look of them?

A question that's popped into my head as I was building this (I
haven't read the website, so if the answer is already there, just
shoot me now): Obviously we have to have our robot clear of the block
at the end of the (what is it?) 2 minutes, but how far away? Can one
remove the robot manually or does it have to limp away on it's own?
(I've assumed the latter).

I did have one other question, but I'm so tired now that my brain
doesn't work.

Can't tell the difference can you?

Matthias Jetleb