 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5399
5398  |  5400
Subject:
A pile of Rock Raiders and a headache.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 06:17:23 GMT

I've managed to train the grad students and administrators in my research
lab to automatically call me before buying any piece of equipment-whether
it's a new workstation, test tool, or imaging device.

University purchasing is truly an art--we have preferred vendors for some
things (Dell), RFP/Q process for others (instrumentation, tools), but
apparently no process for Lego.

That really helps me in figuring out what we really need, both in the short
term and the long term once the student is gone and the machine is
repurposed for future use--give a random grad student carte blanche to buy
hardware and you'll find them with a G4 TiBook in a pretty leather carrying
bag wired to an insecure Airport asking why they can't join the lab NT
domain instead of the Dell i810 entry level PC they really need.

Imagine my surprise today just after ordering five new workstations, a
rackmount server and a workgroup laser just the day before, finding three
huge bags of Lego in our office.  No less than 40 copies of a Harry Potter set!

Every year we run a course called MIE240: Human Centered Systems Design,
which introduces among other things, ergonomics and systems engineering
principles.   One of the early course tutorials is a fun game where design
teams have to build a copy of a Lego set at the other end of the room with
each person only allowed to do certain actions-basically simulating a design
team.  We used to use the 6815 Exploriens Hovertron, but a few years ago we
needed more sets.

I ended up buying nearly 36 copies of 4910 Rock Raiders Hover Scout that
year-literally taking every last one off the shelves of Zellers and Walmart
in Missisauga and Etobicoke.  Well apparently 36 copies isn't enough for a
class of 190 rabid Mechanical engineers.  So the decision was made to buy a
full class full of a completely new set.

Anyways--Here's what gave me the headache today:

They couldn't have called me? :) Like the fifteen emails and phone calls I
got about the new Dells? I run what enthusiast group in Toronto?  Star Trek?
Model boats?  Whittling?

40 copies of a set--can be any small Lego set.  But they have to pick...4701
Sorting Hat.  A set that is currently on clearance everywhere.  But no, it
gets worse...They bought it at.  Get this.  Toys R Frickin Us.  At full price.

The upside of this, is that I now have 36 copies of 4910.

Calum