 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5362
Re: Castors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 16:18:15 GMT

I'm going to be in Montreal instead of Mel's.  Go figure.

But here's what I do:

I put as much weight over the drive wheels as possible.  This improves
traction.

I use a 2x2 round plate with the curved, smooth bottom, the one used on
boats in Town.

Or several, depending on loads.

It has the advantage of providing the same friction from any direction -
it doesn't bind when you turn and reverse a turn, and it never skews the
robot out of position.

Jeff

Iain Hendry wrote:

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Matthias Jetleb writes:

While continuing to sort, I've ocasionally been distracting myself
with other tasks. One of them was to try to build different castor
designs. I'm not having much luck, except for one possibly quite
unique design I'll bring to the next meeting. What I'm wondering is:
can other people bring in some castor designs too? Most of mine suffer
from too much friction when pivoting. I'd just like to see what others
are using.

I always run into that problem too, Matt.  Usually what I try to do is make
the vertical axis on which the castor pivots as tall as possible, so the
moment on the axle is reduced as much as possible (else it binds).  I also
try to keep the castor wheel axis as reasonably close to the vertical axis
as possible; it reduces slewing when the vehicle tries to turn.  Keeping it
close does, however, mean that it's going to spin around very quickly when
the robot changes direction, and that energy may not be available and
instead cause the castor to skid.  There's a fine "tuning" point you have to
find based on the friction of the castor wheel and the friction in the axis.

    Iain