 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4873
Re: Thanks, Oliver :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 07:21:55 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ivan Louch writes:
Very cool Iain!
Kinda regret giving you that 5280! /me wants a cool DPF too!
BTW, I tried the floppy that I pulled from one of the laptops (thanks
Oliver!) and as Calum predicted it didn't even fit into my l-top let alone
work (but hey, it was worth a try). So if anyone needs it let me know, as I
certainly have no use for a Compaq's custom floppy drive in my Compaq-free
environment (I'm really starting to get agitated by the way Compaq does
things)

Hey Ivan,

It's not Compaq really-almost all of the vendors have proprietary connectors
and shapes on their floppies, batteries, hard disks, and CD drives.  Part of
it is due to the small size of laptops requiring specialized product design.
The other part is to lock you into buying their upgrades and replacements.

If you want one of the LTE's, let me know.  I have the extra units and
they're all POSTing.

There's a number of places to look around for parts-A1 Electronics on
Kipling and Queensway and AboveAll on Bloor W of Bathurst would be places to
go.  I'll keep an eye out on floppies if you email me the line and model
(ie, Latitude CPx, Inspiron 8200, etc) of your machine.  In general, all the
recent Latitudes can use the floppy with a printer port cable.

Here's the original PowerBook Mario and I hacked into a frame and the newer
PowerBook 520C as well:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/people/tsangc/frame100-index.html
http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/people/tsangc/journal-frame520running.jpg

Does anyone have any interest in a Win95+NQC+RCXCC+2.0SDK image for the LTE,
or am I starting to sound like Dave Koudys and his love for Norton Ghost?

Calum