 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4855
4854  |  4856
Subject:
EUREKA!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 00:41:16 GMT

Who-hoo!

So I bought a technic space shuttle a little while ago, but the poor little
micromotor inside was already dead when I opened the box. Tonight I pulled
it appart.

Imagine my surprise when I found out the magnet in the stator was coated in
iron filings, and the rotor was completly fighting and grinding against
them! No chance of that poor little coil driving all that mess! So after
about 15 minutes with a kleenex and q-tip (the Q stands for Quillow),
fighting against the magnet in the motor to wipe the filings off, I got
enough of them off that the rotor would spin freely. I squished the thing
back together. Won't run.

I pulled it appart again and realised I'd squished the poor little wipers on
the commutator. Then I noticed two semicircumferal slots mounted directly
beneath the brushes. Clever. I modified a twist tie, and after some careful
fiddling and holding them over to one side, I pressed it back together...

Aha! It runs!

Now the big question is - how the heck did all those filings get in there?!

    Iain