 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4680
4679  |  4681
Subject:
More signs you're addicted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:21:59 GMT

I'm sure all of you have had the experience of being asked "So how many
sets/pieces do you have?".  Well, according to my highly significant data
analysis methods (a text file, a command prompt window, and the sum()
command in Excel) I've discovered I officially own 338 sets and 62044 pieces.

This includes many large gaps including sets that Lugnet doesn't have piece
counts on, Lego that's been given to me or I've found randomly (more on this
later), or Lego I've given away (I hope someone will take this pterodactyl,
please!?!), Lego I'm afraid to admit having (Scala doll).

Anyways, time for 4:20AM Story Corner:

I once also...destroyed Lego.  Yeah.  One weird tiring night, I think maybe
around third year, I was hanging out in the MechEng Mechatronics lab (aka,
the cool place to study that also had power tools and 6811 Miniboards) and
someone suggested we go to McDonalds for dinner.  So we went, and they had
Lego sets as the Happy Meal.  Of course, filling the "Lego guy" stereotype,
I bought one.  Or maybe my friend did.  Anyways, it was this:

http://www.mcdonalds.com/countries/usa/collectibles/happymeal/toys/1999/10.1/5/
5.html

You have to realize that lack of sleep is similar to being drunk or stoned.
And that made the Grimace VERY VERY scary, because I had next to zero sleep.

I was so repulsed by the fact there was this horrible Grimace face on this
slope, and the added fun that I had very little sleep at the time (exam
season) made the Grimace...well, sort of like jump out at me.  So I bolted
the thing into a table vise, grabbed one of the guys' Dremel and took a
wirebrush at high RPM to it.  But the Grimace face wouldn't disappear.  So I
then took a large rasp and tried to scrape the face off.  This took a while,
but it eventually came off.  I think I kept the rest of the pieces.

Once, after working on the very first rtlToronto playfield at the theatre,
Chris and I were walking along a back alleyway somewhere in downtown
Toronto, and I found a random 3x4x1 30 degree red roof slope, buried into
the mud in the middle of the road.  I think JeffE might have been there too.
I treasured the little slope and took it home.

Another time I found some stupid Engineering Science students had
maimed...get this...PLATES.  4x8 and 4x10 PLATES.  for their AER201 design
projects, by gluing them with epoxy onto plywood, because, well, they were
stupid.   I think some of them also tried welding aluminum to plywood, but I
digress. Anyways, I rescued them and tried to clean them up.  Sigh.

I once found three 2x4 bricks (one red, one white, and the third blue) at
Bell Trinity Square on the 11th Floor on an abandoned desk.  I would
reconnect them from time to time while I was on the phone.  You know that
weird stat as to how many ways you can connect basic bricks?  I think I
proved it that summer--then I took them home.

Just the week before, my friend Dave D'Amico handed me a pile of 4.5V train
track.  The answering machine message was very funny-

"Hey Calum.  It's Dave.  We were cleaning out the basement tonight and found
some Lego train track.  I know you're using that new electric stuff, but
this is the old grey one.  Would you like it?  Give me a call back."

What's hilarious is that Dave specifically had to include a comment about
the fact he knew I was on 9V...that's friends for you :)

Calum