 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4423
4422  |  4424
Subject:
Old IBM mainframe robots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 12 May 2002 05:45:19 GMT

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/mss.html
http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/datacell.html

I'm sure most of you have seen DLT, DDS and 8mm autoloaders or even the big
tape silos out there-Peachy and it's companion server Blueberry are both
backed to a DLT loader in MIE-they're tape drives with a robot to grab a
tape and put them into the drive mechanism, allowing for automated backups.

Anyways, the above links show some real old school IBM mainframe storage
systems which use pretty nifty robotics to grab tapes.  The capacities are a
bit laughable-the entire system shown in the second link totalled only 3GB,
while Mario and I were breaking apart a 10GB hard disk for grins just last
night.  But the mechanisms are neat-especially the honeycomb shape for tape
storage.  Pretty retro cool.

Calum