 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3929
3928  |  3930
Subject:
Friday Soccer Question Clairifcations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 03:17:53 GMT

I've been getting some emails from folks, so I'd like to put them out for
everyone to hear:

Overall, I'm not too worried about rules for 10.1.  I really want
people to bring in stuff, and if we realize certain designs are far too
dominating, then we'll need to deal with them with rules for the real event
two months down the road.  Meaning, if there's a type of design that's
really horribly lopsided for the fairness of the game, we'll need to see if
that needs a rule to compensate.  Another issue is the actual gameplay
rules, you'll notice there aren't any up there right now.  Again, we need to
work through issues like:

-Length of a match
-Fouls
-How to start a game
-etc

I don't know anything about soccer, so we'll all have to learn/discuss/work
it out.

-One controller per team, right?  Or one per robot?

        One controller per robot, two per team.  Four controllers total,
for four people playing 2v2.  BTW I now have acquired FOUR, count them, FOUR
iSFX USB controllers.  They are, truly, the ugliest things known to man.
But we have four identical controllers.

-Can you drive into the goal, or do you have to shoot it in?  I'm in
favour of having a 'crease' and no drive-in goals myself, but I wanted
to know what people thought.

        I think this is the sort of thing we're doing the 10.1 test to
find out.  Because the game will be much more accessible (ie, lower level
of experience/entry) unlike ProjectX, it means we really have to work all
the bugs out.  Hence, we'll have to see how it works at the actual Friday
and if people think it's cheating.

-We're not allowed to move while we have the ball, right? Are we okay to
rotate to aim our "kicker"?

        I was of the idea that you could move and pull the ball along with
you with a little fence on either side, sort of the way soccer players
will often kick the ball between feet as they go along.  I used the term
"corraling" but I suspect that might be miscontrued as "Build a closed
fence around the ball" which is probably not a good idea.

        Yes you are okay to rotate to aim your kicker.

-Are we permitted to have kick mechanisms, or are we to push the ball around
only?

        Absolutely you are allowed to have a kick mechanism.  Obviously
Scout powered players will either have to not kick or turn in reverse, though.

Calum