 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2067
2066  |  2068
Subject:
Monkey clarifications
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 20:23:31 GMT

Hi all,

Regarding the Monkey problem for rtlToronto9 - I had a few questions
about the setup and rules:

1) Can anyone think why 5/8" dowel wouldn't serve as a substitutue for
1/2" copper pipe?  Because dowels are a lot cheaper, plenty strong, and
are easier to cut if you forgot your pipe cutter at work.

2) So how many pipes/dowels are there?  It's not clear to me whether
there are 15 or 16 - it depends on whether the first one is 3" or 6"
along the 2x4 - either option seems reasonable.  I'd go with 3" and 16
dowels, myself - longer race, and if you buy 4' or 8' dowels, you're
likely to have enough for an even number of rungs, anyway.

3) Rule 7 on the web page states, "Robots cannot touch the floor, nor be
higher than the top edge of the 2x4."  So if one of my robot's arms
swings higher than the top edge of the 2x4 for any reason, I'm
disqualified?  Or are you saying the robot can't start up there?  'Cuz I
could see that being an issue, especially if it's a close game.  Perhaps
we want to lay a sheet of plexiglass as a "ceiling" over top if that's
the issue?

4) In starting conditions, it states that robots can start on one rung,
or two - So I take it the robot can start either hanging from the first
two rungs, or just from the second one, correct?  The advantage to
hanging from two being that you can start with a swing by releasing the
back one?

We also might want to state the dowel/pipe diameter on the web page, in
case people are to lazy to search lugnet.org.ca.rtlToronto for "copper"
:)

Not that I'm thinking of bringing a robot of course, just wondering
idly.

Jeff E