 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17069 (-10)
  Re: Hey Iian, These are your little duckies right??

(...) Iain's stuff always impresses. He builds such clever stuff. But to watch him go through it is really a treat: Iain intrinsically knows the "feel" of pieces--eg, what will stick, just how much bracing something needs, that sort of thing. It (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Falkirk Wheel

(URL) this is what you need in the layout...not a piddly little boat lock :) And the fact that it only uses 1.5kWh of power (like boiling 8 kettles) to lift a boat is way cool. I'd plan a trip to Scotland just to see this bad boy... -Rob A> (18 years ago, 9-Jan-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: The difference between hobbyists and collectors...

(...) I disagree. If Chris does a good job of estimating the final purchase price, good for him. He'll save people like you from wasting your time bidding on it, while the price rises from $20 to $100. I don't think it's gouging, if it's a luxury (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Hey Iian, These are your little duckies right??

And actually, linking back and browsing through Ian's YouTube account was interesting. I'd not seen the pole balancer, and I love the "Toppler" as well. Nifty. (18 years ago, 9-Jan-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: The difference between hobbyists and collectors...

(...) I'm not sure I followed you there-- you said you think the set is worth more than just the pieces... but... your argument is that a set should just be sold at the value of the pieces (plus the price of the box and the instructions if (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: The difference between hobbyists and collectors...

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, David Koudys wrote (though not in this order, admitedly): (...) Agreed. I don't see a logical, rational reason for such collecting/hoarding etc. That would probably be why you and I are not "collectors". I've only bought (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Hey Iian, These are your little duckies right??

(URL) love it when someones sends me a link to something done by an rtl member.. Jeff VW (18 years ago, 9-Jan-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: The difference between hobbyists and collectors...

(...) Agreed-if Chris has, hypothetically, some Technic subs sitting in his basement that he plans on selling in some years time for some profit--no issues from me. As stated before, that's not the issue--it's the degree of profit. If Chris puts up (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: The difference between hobbyists and collectors...

(...) I value the LEGO parts as more than the sets they comes in. That's why I build with LEGO bricks--if I didn't care about the parts, then I certainly would save lots of money by not buying the sets. And again, the difference between the parts I (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: The difference between hobbyists and collectors...

(...) agreed--it is subjective, but again, all of this was my opinion. But just as we can point and laugh about how the weatherman has difficulty predicting the weather conditions 2 weeks out, we can't then assume that the weatherman will be wrong (...) (18 years ago, 9-Jan-07, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact