 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16093
16092  |  16094
Subject:
Milk International Children's Festival of the Arts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2006 03:45:14 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

The Milk International Children's Festival of the Arts starts
tomorrow and runs till May 28th.

http://www.harbourfrontcentre.com/milk/

A couple months ago a group of us were asked by LEGO Canada and the
Toronto Harbourfront Centre if we could do some building for the Lego
tent at the Festival.  The theme for the Lego area was urban
planning.  The Harbourfront people asked if we could build them a
city that would inspire the kids to build buildings of their own, and
get them thinking about the needs of a city.

LEGO Canada had 1,000,000 bricks available to build with, in a
variety of classic colours.   The catch was there were only 2x4s.
This made for a very interesting building challenge.  The bricks sent
to us in P Boxes (Or however they spell that) It's a large black
plastic bin that holds somewhere between 6000 and 8000 bricks.  We
ordered them in lots as we started building.  3 to begin with, then 3
more a few weeks later, then 6 more in the final weeks.  We used all
but a few bricks.

After 2 months of building we spent today setting everything up.  The
day started with us thinking we didn't have enough built to fill the
space.  By mid day we realized we had built too much and there was
little space left for kids to add their own buildings.  By the end of
the day Harbourfront had added more tables to our display so we could
spread things out a little to leave gaps the kids could fill in.

The builders for the project were Calum, Jeff VW, David W, Oliver,
and myself.  Here are some samples of the buildings:

Calum build a huge pile of small buildings.  Little shops, small
business, and houses.  These all look great laid out together to form
small street scenes and really filled out the look of the city.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/Milk/img_3425.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/Milk/img_3434.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/Milk/img_3439.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/Milk/img_3455.jpg

Jeff VW build a really nice office town and a large home.  The office
tower unfortunately met with a small accident before I arrived.  I
saw it in loose sections and tried to put it back together.  Later
Calum and I realized it had been reassembled incorrectly.  Sorry Jeff.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/Milk/img_3428.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/Milk/img_3448.jpg

David W, is a friend of mine from work, he's an avid LEGO fan but
rarely has time to build.  It's unfortunate because he builds some
amazing things.  For this he build the bank building and the clock
tower.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/Milk/img_3426.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/Milk/img_3452.jpg

Oliver came in at the last minute to help out.  I know he built a few
buildings, but I lost track of which ones they were.  I've probably
credited them to Calum.   I do know this office tower is his.  The
mast cheats on the 2x4 only supply a little.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/Milk/img_3449.jpg

I build some larger office towers.  One is a modern twin tower
complex, the other an older brick and mortar style office tower.  I
also built a small 5 sided residential building, and a football
stadium.  (The one cool thing about saying that is, it doesn't matter
where you are from you'll recognize it as your sport.)

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/Milk/img_3410.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/Milk/img_3411.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/Milk/img_3420.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/Milk/img_3419.jpg

Oliver, Calum and myself were there for setup today.  It was a fun
day over all, but there were some down periods where we were waiting
on a decision or someone to return with some supplies.  What do 3
LEGO builders do when surround by the the remaining 1,000,000 bricks
they hadn't managed to use up building a city.  Well they build
something.  I started by building something very representational of
the project.  Calum and Oliver stepped in and build a few things it
would have been nice to have.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/Milk/img_3493.jpg

Finally here are some overview pictures of the entire City.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/Milk/img_3483.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/Milk/img_3476.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/Milk/img_3472.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/Milk/img_3478.jpg

This project was a lot of fun.  Building with only 2x4s presented a
lot of interesting challenges.  I personal put a lot of time into
this.  Most evenings I was home either building or sorting bins of
LEGO.  The last few weeks I completely ignored organizing my new
place, because of that my living room is still full of boxes as if I
had just finished moving.

I want to thank the people at Harbourfront Centre and LEGO Canada for
asking us to do this.  I had a really good time working on this and I
think the others did too.  I hope we are able to do more projects
like this in the future.

Here's the reference to the Brickshelf gallery, there are more
pictures then I laid out here.  I'll also be attending the Festival
tomorrow, so I'll be adding more pictures with the display in action.

I apologies for the blurriness of some of the photos.  My hand was
not as steady as I thought it was.  I'm sure Calum will post pictures
he took with his 20D and human flash stand in the near future.

Derek

P.S.  Can you spot the "realistic" and "iconic" trees?