 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 1598
Re: Carlsbad coasters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 02:39:39 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message

IIRC LLC now has 3 coasters or coaster like rides... The first one which • was
there at the opening is the dragon themed ride. Using Roller Coaster • Tycoon
nomenclature, this is a mini steelie. It has cars that have two seats per
car. Some good spirals, not a really fast ride but it scared my (then) 6
year old.  Some moderate air time if you are in the middle, but no serious
neg G. It is now going into its third season. Great theming.

Vekoma, custom J700 series.

The second coaster is Spellbreaker. This is a single rail suspended • coaster
but it was down when we were there so I didn't get to see the cars very
closely. It's kind of like the pterodactyl ride at Universal Islands of
Adventure Florida, I think. (I could be wrong) There is a vertical • elevator
instead of a lift hill, the cars release at the top after being lifted up
(they are on a small section of track and roll off the top of the elevator
when it gets there). Can't comment on theming as it was down.

Caripro, custom Batflyer. Pterodon Flyers at IOA is by Setpoint.

The newest coaster is the Technic test car ride that you saw the cars for.
This coaster is essentially a steel mouse. If you saw the track layout you
would recognise it, it's a lot like most steel mice. The big twist is that

It's the same layout as "The Fly" at Canada's Wonderland (which was Mack's
premier of that particular layout).

the initial lift hill releases into a nice big dip. No curvature but you • go
almost back down to ground level and back up in a nice swoop. A little air
time after that hill. The rest of the layout is a conventional steel • mouse,
with the rough flat corners etc, no air time to speak of. Fairly good
theming, although the supports don't look like Technic beams or anything,
there still was enough theming to carry the day. This coaster was new this
season.

The above is all based on memory and i hope it's of some help.

Pictures would help more. :)

    Iain