 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15655
Re: OT: Candu Computers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 14:34:41 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Antonishen wrote:
I caught this press release:

http://www.neimagazine.com/story.asp?sectionCode=132&storyCode=2034196

Where it states a Montreal company L-3 Mapps will be developing an
updated Candu control computer, and will provide support for the next 30
years.

30 years!  Look at technology 30 years ago compared to today.... what
will it be like 30 years from now?  I'd hate to have to design that puppy...

This is probably one of the toughest systems engineering challenges out there.

There's been a number of systems which have spanned 30 years...some of the
mainframe software like IBM's CICS has been around that long.  Nortel's DMS
telephone switch software was launched in 1977.  The FAA's ATC system was run on
1960's era IBM mainframes for a very very long time...

But I think the key points from these "long design life" systems has been:

-Continual hardware improvements (eg, refresh of the platform it runs on)
-Solid software engineering principals
-A lot of money from a rich customer (eg, banks, telcos, the government)
-An airtight support contract, signed sealed and delivered.

Calum