 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15026
Re: Iain's favourite machine runs Linux...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2005 21:25:50 GMT

Calum Tsang wrote:

http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT8308307720.html

from that page:

"DeLaval was started in 1883 by Swedish inventor Gustaf de Laval. It
sells a variety of dairy supply and "cow comfort" products aimed at
increasing dairy yields."

I need a more specific definition on what a "cow comfort" product is.

Chris

Hmmm, I was going to ask why you wanted to know, but decided I don't need to
know... (and I dont think I have ever made a LUGNET post ever so hopelessly
off-topic in regards to LEGO.)

But you did ask... (and apparently you can take the small town girl to the city,
but you can't take the country out of the small town girl.)

In a nut shell, "cow comfort" basically refers to the health, safety, stress
levels based on levels of actual comfort, such as stall spacing and bedding,
ventilation, and ability to pasture, of the beast in question.

While I would love believe concerns were more on level with animal activists
ideals, it is sadly only based on scientific knowledge vrs. productivity.  Due
to the biological and physical levels being directly related to output, any
prolonged or extreme levels of stress, strains immunities, reduces reproduction
yields or performance and most importantly productivity levels in milk
production are sacrificed.

Janey "Red Brick"