 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14366
Re: [rtlToronto] rtlToronto at BrickFest 2005
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 02:36:10 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:
"Calum Tsang" <tsangc@mie.utoronto.ca> wrote:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-081205/

You are the master of Depth of Feild!!  Looks like good times.  :)

I hope people like the photos: However, I can't say I'm really in THAT
deliberate control of depth of field...it's really from:

a) shooting with a f1.8 prime lens open pretty wide.  This is so I can shoot
indoors without using a flash.  I saw some people shooting with some elaborate
flash setups at BF but I'm not sure if that really distracts the subject or
lends to photojournalistic/documentary style I like.  Even with a bounce and
diffuser I'm not sure how it looks.

b) shooting with a 28mm lens deliberately close to people, making it even more
pronounced.  I like getting people filling up the frame.

The deal with depth of field is that it's useful but it gets tired, FAST.  The
problem is shooting indoors with the above setup pretty well guarantees nothing
BUT shallow focus everytime...

I'm trying to learn how to vary my photography style from shooting one step above stupid candids.   I love shooting people, and getting their emotion.
Like...this...

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/people/tsangc/journal-newyork5.jpg

Calum