 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13922
Re: I need geek help please
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:47:21 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
   I need geek (said in a totally respectful manner) help please. I know this is totally off topic, but since im the pc “guru” in my circle (yeah I know, pathetic) Im turning to rtl for help here.

As I mentioned, new computer, first time on XP....

So,....I hated all the stuff on start up, so I went into “Start/Run/msconfig” and removed only things that I know ~I~ have put on the machine, such as my fav word processor, instant message programmes, etc.

Any how, after a reboot, NOW I get a blank dark screen with an underscore cursor flashing at me, instead of my machine starting. I have to Crtl/Alt/Delete, than hit Esc, and than click on the drive to get it to start, once it follows thru, I get this message......

You have used the systems configuration Utility to make changes to the way windows starts.

The systems Config Utility is currently in the Diagnostic of Selective Start up mode causing this message to display.

Choose the normal startup mode on the general tab to start windows normally and undo the changes made using Systems Config Utility.

SO, I went back to msconfig, clicked on “normal start up mode”, applied and restarted....(which restored all those stupid programs on start up) but still my machine will not boot up on its own.

No, I did not play with the bios, and no, I did not play with anything else under msconfig.

Can someone please help me, since the tech guys at the service centre had no clue.

I am assuming that is a “no no” going into msconfig on XP, is that true?

Hi Janey,

A little knowledge is dangerous :^(

I’ve never done what you’ve done, so I can’t give you a surgical answer. Had you thought of booting with your XP disk in and attempted a repair. Just grasping at straws.

Is there a way to undo what you originally did (or do you think all those unwanteds are back the way they originally were?)

Janey “Desperate for Geek Training” Red Brick

Kevin