 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12805
Re: OT: Colour photos from Russia in the early 1900s
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 23:37:53 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:
"Calum Tsang" <tsangc@mie.utoronto.ca> wrote:

It was pretty ghetto, but in 1987, it was absolutely out of this world.

So this was for capturing colour stills, not video, right?

Yup.  Fantastic 768x482 stills in 4096 colours (Overscan HiRes in Dynamic Hold
and Modify mode).

Here's a picture of the DigiView stuff:

http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=307

The plexiglass colour filter was upscale, I bought the version in the picture
below which came with the chetto cardboard filter.  You could manually rotate
the filter or buy a device called a DigiDroid, which was a RC car servo attached
to a joystick connector.  The Amiga would signal the DigiDroid to rotate the
filter 90 degrees, then it would start capturing the next phase.

The DigiDroid was about $100, I remember paying about $900 for the Panasonic
CCTV camera, copystand and Digiview software/hardware.  (Jesus that was
expensive).  $900 today gets you the camera body of a 6MP Canon DSLR. Sigh.

In retrospect, this would have made a superb Mindstorms project (the filter
turner)...

Some other PC automation projects I could think of:

-An adorable DDS/DAT tape library
-A DVD/CDR duplicating machine to make copies of Midlife Crisis band recordings
-Slide Scanner loader/unloader to automate 35mm slide scanning

The other super chetto image capture device I used a lot was a thing called the
Canon Xapshot. It was the first "digital" camera I'd ever seen, around 1992 or
so:

http://www.mikety.net/Articles/AC.SFW/Images/pic5.jpg

It made horrifically bad (in today's perspective) picture quality:

http://www.mikety.net/Articles/AC.SFW/Images/pic6.jpg

I used to use that in conjunction with another Amiga capture device called a
DCTV.  The photos were worse than my crappy camera phone.

Calum