 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11870
Re: @$*#& Hewlett Packard!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2004 05:05:42 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:
Does anyone have a clue how to load the paper roll on a DesignJet 750c?!  I'm
FREAKING OUT.

    Iain

Yes. I have one at work.. I'll try to do this from memory; if you want me to
verify this you'll have to wait until tomorrow (Wednesday). I also have a HP 500
and a 600, so I might be getting the processes mixed up, but here goes:

1. Load the paper onto the roll. It is really important that it go on the right
way, and I can't remember.. I think it rolls out from under the roll - look at
the left side of the spool and it winds clockwise (I think - sorry).

2. The front panel should be showing the message, "Out of Media". If it isn't
hit the "return" button until it is. The paper clamp lever should be DOWN
(closed).

3. Load the roll into the machine. It's also important the leading edge of the
paper is cut STRAIGHT. Not crooked, not ragged. Otherwise it won't feed
properly. There's a slot on the top of the machine cover - pull the paper on top
of the cover and then cut through it along the slot, the blade of your knife
riding inside the slot.

4. Slide the paper into the machine, aligning the right edge with the little
dotted line guide on the platen.

5. The machine will "eat" paper and wind it around the spindle. The front panel
will ask you what kind of paper you're loading and whether you are loading a
roll or a sheet. Answer the questions by pressing the appropriate buttons. Then
it will spit it out the front end of the machine.

6. Lift the paper clamp lever (this will open the clamp). The front panel will
say "Align edges of roll" or something like that.

7. Pull the paper out of the machine towards you (this will unroll more from the
roll) then pull it taut and make sure the right edges of the paper (both the
paper in your hand and the paper going into the machine) match up. This makes
sure the paper is going through the machine in a straight line.

8. Flip the paper clamp lever closed, and hit the "enter" button to continue.
The plotter will look at the edges of the paper to make sure it's tracking
straight (the paper will go back and forth, and there will be a little slack
left in the paper when done), then it will cut the edge of the paper square.

9. Roll up the excess paper (there should be no slack left) and then close the
roll cover.

DONE

OK, I may have forgotten some stuff, but I think that's it.. I've done the above
about 300 times in the life of our printer. When you get good at it you can do
it in under 30 seconds - it takes longer to load the paper on the roll. Again if
you need more info I can email again tomorrow. LMK.

Darrell

Oh, PS if you are using the color cartridges, and you haven't printed color in a
long time, the Cyan cartridge will clog up. The front panel will tell you to
"Service Pens" or whatnot. If you're just printing Black and White, just tell it
to continue without servicing the pens. If you need to print color, you can try
cleaning the Cyan head, but most likely you need to pitch it and install a new
one.