 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11722
11721  |  11723
Subject:
Barrel Racing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 15:02:05 GMT

My better half and I were watching the Calgary Stampede on TV the other
night, and I say to myself...."Self, now barrel racing, that would be a
cool idea for a robot contest!"

Any thoughts?  For those of you who don't know what it is, let me
explain via this explanation ( from
http://www.spokanecounty.org/fair/SIF/SIFBarrelRacing.htm):

Equipment

Horse and saddle, electric eye timer, and (3) 55 gallon drums.

Goal / Objective

To have the fastest time in the event with no penalties. The barrel
racer will enter the arena, usually at full speed and cross the start /
finish line triggering an electronic eye that starts the clock. The
contestant will direct her horse to complete a cloverleaf pattern (one
right turn and two left turns OR one left turn and two right turns)
around three barrels positioned in the arena, then race back across the
start / finish line, tripping the eye and stopping the clock. You will
usually see contestants beginning with the right barrel.

Disqualified When

The contestant deviates from the cloverleaf pattern in any form.

Penalties

The contestant can touch or even move the barrels from their original
position, but will receive a five second penalty for each barrel knocked
over. Even one barrel overturned usually spells a long trip home with
only your applause as consolation.

A picture for those whe are text challenged is here:

http://www.omoksee.com/barrelspecs.jpg

Any thoughts on how this could be converted to a robot contest?

P.S. Sucks that I missed "end of my rope".  I'll admit that I never got
a working 'bot, but couldn't even make it as an observer due to falily
issues.

P.P.S. Missed the last dinner as well, 'cause I was in the Ottawa Valley
(Lanark area) visiting friends of the family we knew up in Bruce Mines.

P.P.P.S. Been off-line for a while as my notebook motherboard went
"ttpppthhtt" and let out all the magic smoke.  I had to get the PII 400
my kids use set up with MY e-mail, etc.......Good thing there has been
so little hapenning on the list the last few weeks :)

-Rob A.