 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11340
11339  |  11341
Subject:
Well, after many years....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 19:50:10 GMT

TLC sent me another broken piece.

Now friends, when I purchased one of the M-Tron sets off the shelf many years
ago, I found a 2x8 hinge plate that looked like it was crushed in a press--the
edge of the 2x8 portion of hte hinge was snapped, but still hangiing on.

Anyway, I didn't care 'cause I had plenty of 2x8 plate hinges from my youth, and
substituted and went on my merry way.

Zap to present day...

Well, I ordered a few new 9v track switches and promptly did some modifying
right outta the box (thus, in my mind screwing up any sort of warranty that TLC
may have, and I'd feel guilty about even asking for replacement parts after said
modifications anyway)

And then I put said switches on my basement layout.  Waittaminute, the actual
switching mechanism on one of these new wyes isn't really working properly--it
clicks in one direction, but wont move fully to the other side...  Hmmm...
(xacto knife makes an appearance in my hand shortly thereafter...)

After removing the bottom of the switching mechanism, I was surprised to see a
metal contact looking as if it was fused with another piece of metal.  Well,
maybe I did that when I modified the switch (basically soldering a wire to join
the straight rails with the curved rails, so no matter where the switch is,
there's always power to both rails).  But there was no other metal part inside
the switch that looked fused.  Furthermore, this was one of 18 modified switches
with nary a problem with the previous 17.

Eh, it didn't really matter for those metal parts were only supplying power to
whichever rail the switch was set on--since I soldered the jumper bwtween the
rails, there's always power to both sets.

So I took a Dremel to the damaged metal piece, cut it out, glued the bottom back
on, and et voila, a perfectly functioning switch for my layout.

See two pics of what Dave's rambling on about here--

http://sparky.i989.net/ltrackmod.htm

Dave K