 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10778
Re: Rope Details
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:12:21 GMT

Calum, and I have been aware of the rope game, and have always wanted to do one.
this seemed like the perfect time to give it a try.

we have slightly modified our (temp) rules to make it that much more of a challange.

- we will be starting from a farther distance.
- we will only have one kind of rope.
- the rop will be hanging higher than the starting size of the robots.
- *** new rule ***
all of your robot will need to be above a preset tape line (probably 11') to win
- as well as ring that bell.

I've read all the great ideas that people have put forth.  and it was ka-on who
suggested a ladder, and or pully system.   I think from a practicle point, this
makes much sence.

as for the rope.

#8 white (or black) sash is a 1/4" cotton braided rope. originally used as the rope
in a counterweight sash window.
the rope is "soft" will strech slightly, and is compressable.

I am working on a (more public) source for this stuff.  and will let you know.
HollyNorth sells this stuff; a 100' (foot) hank of this stuff sells for $15 (plus
tax)

at the next dinner I'd be willing to bring some, and either sell bits, 15' lengths,
OR the whole 100'

as well, anyone can come by 8am - 6 pm and get some.

I'd be willing to mail bits, lenthts, OR the whole hank to anyone,

all this should work out because now that calum and i are implementing a simple
registration system, along with the e-mail saying you need rope, you can let me know
you want to enter.

I want to avoind that nasty yellow poly rope from home depot cause I dont feel it
would be a good choice for this game.

I'll write more when i find this stuff.

Steve Hassenplug wrote:

I'm not sure if you guys have all the details worked out for the rope event, but
if you need some help, here's what SMART did, when they ran that event last
year.

http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/smart/?n=166
http://www.lugnet.com/org/us/smart/~48/ideas/challenge-027

Steve

Chris
There's no 'I' in 'team'.  There's four in 'platitude-quoting idiot'.