 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10616
10615  |  10617
Subject:
[rtlToronto] rtlToronto15, Saturday, January 31st, 2004
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.events
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:15:18 GMT

        rtlToronto15: Deep Yellow
        Saturday, January 31st, 2004
        Audience:       1PM (Final Four Competition)
        Competitors:    10AM-4PM (Prequalify)

        Open to public, free! Invite your friends!

        Lillian H Smith Public Library
        239 College Street, Toronto
        (between Spadina and University)

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-013104/lego-013104-rules.html

        Here's your personal invitation to rtlToronto15, thirteenth in our
series of robot challenges made of Lego.  This time, we make robots play
Connect Four against each other and the audience.

        Think of Garry Kasparov vs Deep Blue.  Think of all those
times your kid sister beat you at Connect Four.*   Now think of those two
thoughts together:  Autonomous robots that can play entire games against
each other!

        It's artificial intelligence!  It's game theory!  It's stealing
Connect Four boards from hapless children!  It's coopting former
coworkers and people who took CS in university!  It's mind numblingly slow
alpha beta search tree pruning!  More fun than legally available in
prescription doses!

        (We're also running a smaller version of the marble sorting game
in case people get bored.)

        Anyways, it's one of the toughest Lego challenges ever, and you'll
get to play exhibition games of Connect Four with a robot later on in the
day.

Calum
* or those games of Communist Monopoly with your nutty friends.