 Organizations / Canada / ParLUGment / 505
504  |  506
Subject:
Parlugment Meeting Report – June 29, 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.parlugment, lugnet.loc.ca.on.ott
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 00:58:12 GMT

Attendees: Tim, Jude, Kevin, Ka-On, Jason

Our latest meeting was held this past Saturday and included a brand new
member (namely, me). By virtue of this distinction, I was blessed with
honour of writing up the meeting report, which follows as best I can remember…

The evening started with a rendezvous at Red Lobster for dinner, before
which Jude and Kevin checked out the nearby Winners and then with myself the
nearby Zellers. No deals were to be had unfortunately. Dinner was very
informative (for me anyway) with much sharing of past Lego history and stories.

After dinner we decided to check out the nearby Toys R Us, seeing as they
were currently running the 1/2 price UCS Tie Intercepter deal. Much to our
dismay they were closed! We then headed to the Walmart near Tim’s place
where I finally picked up Hogwart’s Castle and Jude picked up the Republic
Gunship (mostly due to my praise for the model so let’s hope he likes it).
The highlight of the trip though was Kevin’s devastation at discovering a
Walmart he had previously not known about.

The next stop was Tim’s basement, where we proceeded to show off some recent
customs. I can’t remember who all brought what but there were some cool
planes and trains being passed around (sorry, no automobiles). I also
brought some recent star wars customs I had made. I think the theme of the
night ended up being ‘Train Carnage’ as that’s what best describes what
happened next. We set up a pair of separate, but overlapping ovals with a
couple of cross track pieces and were endlessly amused at the near and
actual collisions of whatever we could put on the track. Soon to follow were
several plane/trains (modified engines with wings) and some cool rocket
cars, which all contributed to spectacular collisions. Hopefully the
pictures and videos turned out and will be posted soon.

Next up was making the plane/trains actually fly, so one oval was split and
set up so there was a nice 3 or 4 brick high ramp on one side. Much to our
amazement, some runs actually worked, with the engines taking flight and
landing back on the track. We also decided to put Tim’s mountain tunnel in
one corner and tried running some plane/trains with breakaway wings through
it.  Again, let’s hope the pictures turned out.

Tim’s son Joshua made a special appearance and wreaked some special
devastation of his own on the train cars that were lying about. He was also
having a grand old time controlling one of the trains and refused to go to
bed (who could blame him?). Ka-On finally called it a night at around 12:30
and the rest of us followed closely at around 1:00 after checking out Tim’s
computer/Lego room and eyeing some recent pictures of the new Harry Potter
sets online.

‘Till next time!