 Organizations / Canada / OBB / 387
Re: So here's a question....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.obb, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2011 01:15:43 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.obb, David Koudys wrote:
Since my last post got eaten by the sub-ether...

I have a new question--

Regarding the candle'bot, right from the rules--

Eligible:Public & AFOL
Goal: The First Robot to find and extinguish a candle flame will be the winner
of that round.
Robots that fall off the table will lose.
Games will be limited to 3 minutes.
If no winner is declared at the end of the time limit, then a tie will be
called.

Arena: The play area will be one platform made of plywood 30"x60" and raised 2"
off the ground.
A lit candle will be placed randomly on the arena.
Each Robot is to start in opposing corners.

Rules: Robot must not be greater than 12" cubed to qualify.
Robot may grow or expand once the game is started.
Robot must be autonomous.
At no time is a Robot allowed to touch the candle, wick, or cup.  If a robot
bumps, or touches the candle, wick or cup then that robot is disqualified.
No part of the Robot may touch the ground at any time.

- - -

So the first 'bot to extinguish the candle wins.

What happens if the 'bot hits the candle holder after it extinguishes the flame?

I was thinking that once the flame is out, the game is over.  The no touching
rule was thought of as both a safety feature, AND to make the game that much
more difficult.

Is the competition over the second the 'bot blows out the candle, or is there a
time delay?

As soon as the candle stays out, its over.

As well, this random placement of the candle--is the candle going to be placed
randomly around the center or is the entire board open for the random placement.

Again, open to debate amongst the group, is that we place the candle in the
center divide line between the 2 bots starting position.

I ask this because of the idea that if you put the candle right next to one of
the 'bots, there's a wee bit of an advantage.

I agree, thats why the placement has to be somewhere "random" between the 2

Anywho, that's not a biggie--I'll still kick Chris's heinie all over the board.

Dave K
-more smack talk

Dave, this no longer works. I have built, AND won several rtl Games now. so...
PTHPPhTHTHPPPPppp

Heck, I even have a 1 rcx tic tac toe robot that reads either an X or o as
played by a human DRAWING the X or O.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8fnXeyufDA&feature=related

PTHPHHTPPTHPTHH

If I recall, YOU did not even make a bot for that TTT game.

Chris
B.E.D.