 Organizations / Australia / 622
Re: Looks like even less availability for us here.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.au, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 11:00:59 GMT

In lugnet.org.au, James Howse writes:
In lugnet.org.au, Santosh Bhat writes:
Hello all.
Take a look at
http://www.lego.com/info/press.asp
Reduced production capacity right? So I'm guessing it'll mean that Australia
receives an even higher proportion of this reduction as we aren't a major
market.

I love the fact that they openly refer to Roboriders, Mybot and the Studios
sets as "novelties". At least their shop steward can recognise a crap set when
he boxes it. Promote that man to designer I say!

I think it means "totally new lines": it would really help Lego if they could
get someone who is 100% fluent in English to write their promotional material,
instead of a <expletive indicating a souped-up Babelfish using a Microsoft
thesaurus deleted>.

Also noticed:
http://www.lego.com/info/jobsspecific.asp?JobId=324
a job description for Lego Girls SPU. This seems an appropriate title
considering the very special R&D that must go into Belville and Scala, but
what really got me was the phrase "[should] have experience working with the
Orient". Maybe Charlie Chan and Honourable Number One Son should apply.

Back on-topic: since we're currently supplied by Denmark, we may well see even
less plastic washing up on our distant shores. TLC continues to amaze with its
half- <profanity indicating the past participle of the posterior deleted>
market research. How many companies, apart from some franchises, have so much
reasonably well-informed opinion and comment on their products regularly
posted in such an amazing open forum (that now looks even snazzier)?

Commonly expressed ideas seem to be:
*Lego's core product is a simple plastic brick that is made well. Making SPUDs
poorly because you have more CAD-pushers than factory workers is not clever
business. Incidentally, I'd count watches and clothing as SPUDs -- let's hope
they're never available in Australia.

*Stop buying into other people's stories, and delving into the most bizarre
ditches of science fiction. How about new themes with tried and true
popularity (eg Classical Lego, thank you Santosh) or old themes with tried and
popularity (ie Lego Classics, thank you Kerry). And by the way, people seem to
like trains.

--Dave

PS If you've got nothing better to do check out http://www.charliechan.net/ .