 Organizations / Australia / 1497
Re: Application to exhibit (or why one shouldn't post too soon)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 12:07:42 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Santosh Bhat writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, James Howse writes:
The important info and relevant questions associated with particular issues
follow.
Standard of exhibits
Committee will accept exhibits on merit taking into account the attaction
and interst provided to the viewing public. Prior to acceptance the
committee may wish to inspect the exhibit.
Q: This means we need at least one test run set up to show any possible
visitors. Building time, space and location are all involved here, as well
as the possible interstate contributions.

Yes a Test run is essential, maybe more than one.

Are you thinking a public test run or a home thing?

Non-commercial
payment will be made towards reimbursing the cost of travelling expences
etc, pending completion of a claim form issued at exhibition.

Q: I assume this means we won't have to pay to display, yay!

We can claim expenses? huh? who's sponsoring this thing..

Because admission is charged and there AMRA doesn't take a huge cut, there's
some for everybody (of course commerecial and semi-commercials have to pay
by the sqmetre)

Insurance cover
non-commercial exhibits will be covered against burglary and fire damage
only. The policy is not an all risks cover. Exhibitors are reasponsible for
the supervision of their stand at all times during normal exhibition hours

Do we get covered for breakage, and destruction of models into tiny pieces?
*ooops <nudge>, I didnt realise the table ended there*

Of course we can horrify other exhibitors by breaking our models...

Stand signs
Each non-commercial stand is to display details of their exhibit (scale,
era, prototype and any relevant information on the layout) including the
name of the person, club or association in a form easily read by viewers.
Stand numbers will be provided by AMRA at the exhibition.

Q; do we have an era and prototype in mind?

Era = Eternal Childhood?
Prototype = Non-realistic railroads.

I guess then era=now (diesels, some tourist steamers)
prototype = main-line mostly frieght and some passenger.

Application deadline
For consideration your application form must be returnedby 31May2001 together
with full description and particulars of your exhibit suitable for
publication in the exhibition guide.

James, Am i guessing right that this is in fact a Competition? That is to
say that all displays will be judged against a series of criteria? Do we
actually need to satisfy all the competition conditions? Can't we just go
and display?

It's not strictly a competition, there are prizes in various catagories,
though. The restrictions are there because this is their flagship show,
there's limited floor space (it's still in one of the biggest (cheapish)
venues in Syd) and there has to be interesting stuff for the public. Hence
no unfinished setups, nothing too mundane and unchallenging and so on.

If it is indeed a heated fight off, perhaps we'd be best staying out of the
way. I know that places like the Parramatta Police Youth Club hold train
displays in their hall every so months (there's a one in Winston Hills in a
few weekends time). Wouldn't it be better for us to just try a few of these,
and once it gets popular ask to be invited to such larger displays?

I'm not saying we shouldn't go to Liverpool, but do we take the approach of
working from the top down, or bottom up?

I think other shows would be great to do, cut our teeth and so on, I picked
NSW-AMRA because it's relativly far away, it's a long weekend, there'll be
plenty of intrest and people there. Since it's a biggie, there's a better
chance of convincing LA to pitch in (i.e barriers, partitions, flyers, all
the stuff a corparation can do without breaking a sweat). On the other hand
if we've shown that we can do it on our own, that we have the experience
that'd go down better with LA too. If someone knows of a sooner show that we
could do a display for that'd be great. the Q: is will someone stick up
their hand to find out more info.

Also are there people commited to a train club that'd be displaying every
couple of months or do we have to rely on the support of non-trainheads (or
even gasp! non-legoheads)?

James (who's keen but worries he's the only one)