 Organizations / Australia / 118
Re: LEGO and ACCC [reporting profiteering stores]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 04:49:35 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
-----Original Message-----
From: Jamie Obrien [mailto:jamien@interworx.com.au]
Sent: Sunday, July 02, 2000 12:13 AM
To: lugnet.loc.au@lugnet.com; lugnet.general@lugnet.com;
lugnet.org.au@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: LEGO and ACCC [reporting profiteering stores]

[I'll be complaining about Target and KMart about the sets listed above. I
may actually say something good about how BigW can pass the difference on,
and how it shows that the other stores are profiteering, which may help even
more.]

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsory..Growing up isn't :-)

I was told by a reliable source a few years ago that toys attracted a 30%
sales tax.  So when I heard that this was going to be dropped and only 10% GST
added, I thought, "Great, a 20% drop in Lego prices".  BUT NOOOOOOOO.  No such
luck.  I am glad that Big W is dropping their prices but the prices anywhere
are not being dropped as they should.  I am sure they will blame it on the
exchange rate, extra shipping costs and everything else to justify the lack in
price drop but to me it is just another case of being ripped off.

While I am at it, can I just have a wee tirade about Australian prices.
Australians have been accepting high prices for things for so long.  We have
been fed the "high exchange rate" and "high shipping costs" for so long that
we just accept it. But tell me this, when the Canadian dollar is nearly on par
with the Australian dollar and we are having goods shipped from a similar
distance eg Asia, why do we still pay more here than in Canada.  Similar tax
systems (eg GST).

I may get off my soap box now.  Sorry, I'll relax now.

Corrine