 Organizations / 983
Re: New Site - JLUG - Contest & Prizes too!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 15:40:21 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca, C. L. GunningCook wrote:

   You bring up two very good points.

Okay, you are right, there are no terms of service, terms of use, or privacy policy. We wanted to keep everything simple. As for the “mature audience”.... we didn’t want to set an age limit but we also did not want to have people show up and be offended but the occasional use of a profanity, silly smack and jokes, banter, or innuendoes. We realize this sort of fun is not for everyone, so we felt its only fair to give some warning. On the “register” screen it is explained in a bit more in detail.

Yeah, I saw that screen later after I decided to sign up for the forums. I may get the ‘follow the spirit of the law not the letter’ speech after saying this, but I will: Two Dictionary.com definitions for mature are ‘mature for one’s age’ and ‘mature as in for adults.’ I’m assuming what you meant in the FAQ is somewhere inbetween. I noticed that Andy ‘Blue brick’ has signed up, and IIRC, you mentioned his age somewhere as bieng around 14? So I gladly joined :-D Thanks for the clarification. I guess it’s good that you guys have stayed away from all those ToS, ToU etc. It does make everything complicated.

   As for the .ca .......well to be honest, I really didn’t know where to FUT it to.

So far, there is not a .jlug and because I didn’t want to take space somewhere else or step on anyone’s toes I placed it there in the relatively quiet .org.ca. I felt since JLUG was founded in Canada, and I am a Canuck, .org.ca just seemed like a logical place to have it sit. Even the logo has a Canadian theme (yes I know the leaf needs serious work).

Having said that, truly my intention is a group open to all, it has always been my intention as well. Its fairly weird when a long running joke actually starts to become something real, many things just sort of really developed without a “game plan”. The second member to join JLUG (ages ago now) was from half way around the world. I really have enjoyed that sort of interaction, and I truly want it encouraged.

So now, after thinking about it, .ca was probably not a very well thought out decision. If you have a better suggestion of where the JLUG news should be posted I would love to hear it. Maybe I should have just used .org? I will do that now, and I could do that in the future, unless someone has a better idea.

.org sounds like it. But Lar’s reply says .ca is fine too, and I suppose he’s right since he’s an admin and knows more than me about this matter. Anyway, maybe it’s no something worth worrying *unduly* about. (although I felt I should bring it up) The point is the site looks great, starting off, and all set to become another hub for the Lego community. Thanks again. And yay!

Regards,

Legoswami Samarth